I couldn’t believe the amount of hair I was losing. I was scared, was this going to last forever?
Soon after giving birth, I noticed large amounts of hair falling out with every wash and brush. Thank the lord I have thick hair so no one else could notice it but me, but boy was it frightening. I would stand over the trash and just gently pull heaps out of my head. So I began to research “postpartum hair loss” and discovered it a TOTALLY NORMAL THING.
If you’re finding a surplus of strands on your pillow or clogging the shower drain, you’re not imagining things. Salinger explains that when you haven’t just had a baby, losing about 80 hairs a day is normal, but that new moms shed about 400 hairs a day. By six months postpartum, the hair loss should slow to pre-pregnancy amounts.
For me, the serious hair loss started around 2 months PP and ended around 7 months PP. So hold on mamma, just give it some time for your hormones and hair cycle to get back on track.
Is there anything to do about it?
Honestly, not really. It will normalize. If you are going past 8 months and still are losing copious amounts of hair, then seek a professional. In the meantime, here are some things you can “do” about it today.
- Up your protein intake and eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies. This will ensure that your body is getting all the nutrients it needs.
- Get yourself a Wetbrush. It’s less than 10 bucks and makes a world of difference. Postpartum or not, this is a must for every woman if you ask me.
- Take your Biotin. I am recommending the exact one I took. By day 30 of taking it, there was less hair in the shower drain. By day 60 – 90 there was new hair growth and my hair was full.
- Now, this next suggestion is not vegan. I will probably lose some followers here, but I am going to be transparent. I have been taking an incredible collagen supplement for about 2 years now and can tell a world of difference. The way its different is that it has 7 international patents AND isn’t just collagen. It’s a matrix of Collagen, HA, and chondroitin sulfate. The before and afters of most clients are astonishing. Check it out, give it a try for at least 60-90 days, and make sure to take your before pictures, you will be stunned! Use code “smile” to save $10 – My favorite Collagen brand
- Relax. We all know stress can lead to hair loss, so stressing about your hair loss is not going to help the situation. Understand that this is totally normal and will soon pass.