Its summertime, the sun is out, and its recommended to slather on that sunscreen to “protect our skin.” This post is to bring awareness around this subject. Most people cannot even tell you or read the ingredient deck on the sunscreens they purchase.
WHY NON-TOXIC SUNSCREEN MATTERS
Most sunscreen products on the market contain harmful chemicals that may lead to health problems like hormone disruption, allergies or even, cancer, which sunscreen said to prevent. Sun is not something to be afraid of. Vitamin D is hugely important to our health and happiness.
If you have recently become aware of how necessary it is to avoid toxic products, you may love my 11 Harmful Chemicals Hiding In Your Beauty Products.
Also, make sure to sign up to download your FREE 20 Toxic Household Ingredients to Avoid (PDF) ->
WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR IN SUNSCREEN
Sunscreen chemicals like oxybenzone, oxtinoxate, homosalate and octisalate are linked to negative health effects like hormone disruption and allergic reactions.
The best sunscreens should be made with a base of natural, non-toxic ingredients, with a mineral like zinc oxide as the only active ingredient.
Petrochemical Ingredients, what are they and why are they so bad?
HERE IS A SMALL LIST OF HARMFUL INGREDIENTS TO AVOID:
- Oxybenzone – added to nearly 65 % of non-mineral based sunscreens
- Fragrance – the FDA allows companies to hide their proprietary blend of chemicals in this word
- Avobenzone, also known as Parsol 1789
- Titanium Dioxide
- Propylene Glycol
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Octyl dimethyl PABA
- P-aminobenzoic acid (PABA)
- Menthyl anthranilate
- Trolamine salicylate
- Octyl salicylate
- Tterephthalylidene dicamphor sulfonic acid, also known as Mexoryl SX
As mentioned in other posts, our skin is our largest organ so what we put on it matters. These ingredients can be lathered on our bodies of ourselves and our babies (thinking we are protecting them). But in reality, these petrochemical-based sunscreens are absorbed into your bloodstream at dangerous amounts.
So what will it be? Will you trade UV damage for chemical damage?
Instead of researching tons of different brands and what they “claim,” I have put together a list of 10 sunscreens I recommend. They are safe, non-toxic, and most can be found on the EWG site for more info.
SAFE NON-TOXIC SUNSCREENS TO CHECK OUT:
- NO chemicals, NO artificial fragrance, non-nano zinc
- 100% Non-Nano Zinc Sunscreen
- Perfect for baby’s sensitive skin or eczema
- Top rated by EWG skin deep database with a “1” rating since 2010
- Mineral sunscreen with active ingredients titanium dioxide and zinc oxide
- Reef safe, oxybenzone free, avobenzone free, paraben free, PABA free sun protection
- Only 7 ingredients
- Blocks UVA and UVB rays with the combination of Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and 20% Non-Nano Zinc Oxide
- Mineral-based, tear-free, vegan formula
- No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sunscreening agents
- 100% Certified Natural
- Biodegradable and safe for coral reefs and other ecosystems
- EWG Top Rated Safest Sunscreen. UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum Protection
- Uses non-nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide for powerful sun protection, free from synthetic chemicals
- Cruelty-free and reef safe
- Blends rich organic jojoba and soothing aloe with antioxidants and vitamins