This recipe has been much requested so here it is! I must admit, I have tried and failed many times when it comes to Vegan Mac. Finally, I think I have dialed down a recipe that tastes delicious and doesn’t take long to make. If any of the seasonings don’t agree with you, by all means, leave them out.
Making vegan cheese can feel overwhelming and complicated, let me remind you, this one is simple. If you can operate your microwave and blender, you will rock at making this homemade vegan mac. Perfect for a Thanksgiving side, Superbowl dish, or just a special treat for you and your family. There is nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of creamy rich mac and cheese right? Now you get to skip all that dairy junk and go for the healthy mac! Enjoy!
Warning: bowls of this vegan mac are highly addictive.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Macaroni noodles, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon organic turmeric, optional (gives it that yellow color)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
These are general measurements for the spices. Most of the time I go to taste. I highly suggest tasting along the way to make sure you love it.
- Soak the cashews overnight. Soak the cashews, uncovered, in 2 cups of water for 10 to 12 hours or until the cashews are soft enough to break apart when squeezed.
- Cook the pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Steam the sweet potato and carrots in the microwave. Combine sweet potato, carrot, and 1/4 cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap does not touch the vegetables. Microwave on HIGH for about 6 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. You can also cook these in your Instapot if you want to avoid the microwave. Transfer the sweet potatoes, carrot, and steaming liquid to a blender.
- Make the cashew sauce. Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water. Add the drained cashews to the sweet-potato carrot mixture in the blender, along with the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, turmeric (if using), and garlic powder. Blend on high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until completely smooth. Stop the blender, scrape down the sides and blend again for 1 minute.
- Coat the pasta with the sauce and serve. Toss the cheese sauce and cooked pasta together until the noodles are coated, and serve. I love to top with fresh ground pepper.
NOTE: This will make a lot of cheese so make sure to store in an airtight Tupperware in the fridge for up to 1 week. I suggest adding a dash of plant milk when re-serving to get the sauce back to its creamy texture.
I hope you enjoyed checking out this Vegan Mac & Cheese recipe. If you have any comments or tried out the recipe, I would love to hear about how you loved. You can always tag me on IG when you have made it.
Don’t forget to follow me or reach out on IG!!- plantingseedsmamma.
Other posts you may be interested in :